Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I share a printer with my desktop and a wireless laptop?

I have a hp5780 allinone printer that is hooked upto my desktop. I'm trying to get it so I can print from my wireless laptop without hooking it up to the printer. Both computers are using XP. I'm not set up on a network, but I use a wirless router. Please make your answer computer dummy friendly. Thanks in advanceHow do I share a printer with my desktop and a wireless laptop?
If the computers are in the same workgroup, they should be able to share files and printers. Right click on 'my computer' goto 'computer name' click on 'change' to add it to a work group. Make sure all of your systems are in the same workgroup. Then on the system that is connected to the printer, right click on the printer in the printer properties and select the sharing option and share the printer.





on the laptop select add new printer and select the option to browse. If you are set up properly you should be able to browse my network places for the shared printer.How do I share a printer with my desktop and a wireless laptop?
Okay, I will assume that the desktop is hard wired to the router, if this is the case, you will not be able to share it to the wireless connection. What you need is a wireless printer server. I would recommend that you purchase one that is the same brand as your router for ease of compatibility. The way it will work is... You will plug the USB cable for the printer into the Wireless Printer Server, The Server will connect to your Router via an Ethernet Cable, your Desktop should already be connected to the Router (so no need to do anything there)


Once you have installed the Server on both the Desktop and the Laptop you will be able to print from either computer.





Good Luck, and feel free to update your question, or contact me if you require further assistance.
On your desktop, go to printers and other hardware in your control panel. Right click the printer you want to share, and click sharing. Make sure you are sharing it and you know its name. Then on your laptop, click add a printer in the printers and other hardware folder in your control panel. Click ';next'; select the button that says ';A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer'; click ';next'; click ';browse for a printer'; and then click ';next'; Type in the printer name where it says ';Printer'; and click ';next'; select ';yes'; if you want that printer to be your default printer. Click ';next'; then click ';finish';.

No comments:

Post a Comment