Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I hookup a scanner and a printer to my computer at the same time?

Cannon scanner, HP printer, not sure of computer brand, need idea of cables needed and where to plug them in. Whether I hook up first then run software. Possible that software is already installed, it was hooked up once before.How do I hookup a scanner and a printer to my computer at the same time?
if you are buying them seperately which i think you are. Connect them individually to seperate USB ports. Or you can just buy the all-in-one device.How do I hookup a scanner and a printer to my computer at the same time?
I BOUGHT THE TWO TOGETHER,AND THEY WERE @ ONE TIME FUNCTIONING, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

Report Abuse



Most scanners are USB, some printers are USB as well, but some use a Parallel or 'LPT' port.





Look at what ports you have, and which kind of plugs the scanner and printers seem to use. If something won't hook up - then you may require some adaptors.
Plug one in at a time in the USB port (small rectangle) and if you have windows xp then it should recongnize it and install the software on it's own. After installing the first one then repeat the same steps for the second one.
I hope one or both of them are USB. If not, plug in and install the printer first. Scanners are notorious resource hogs. You should have at least 2 USB ports on the back of your computer. Provided your keyboard and mouse aren't USB, you should be okay. If both the printer and scanner are parallel, you can get a parallel-to-USB adapter and convert one of them, preferably the scanner, to USB. And always restart your computer after installing a piece of hardware so it finds the drivers and accepts the hardware before going on to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment