Thursday, August 19, 2010

How do I select the best digital printer?

I am an experienced film photographer, and the time has come to aquire a printer to make prints up to at least 8x10. What is most important? Picoliter size? I do not want a printer that makes prints look like they were printed digitally. A Canon rep told me their printers have better resolution than both Epson and HP. True or just sales talk? Any good printer %26amp; scanner combos? I have lots or negs and slides I'd like to print up.How do I select the best digital printer?
If you have negs and slides, you MUST use a dedicated film scanner, such as the Nikon Coolscan V ED, which sells for about $600. There is no satisfactory film scanner/printer combination that I know of.





I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX620 scanner/printer that has been great for my amateur purposes, but you will want a better printer than this. I have seen many upscale Epson printers, which seems to be what the pros always end up using.





See reviews for printers at http://www.popphoto.com or http://wilhelm-research.com rather than Consumer Reports, which will not review the printers that you want to know about.





Wilhelm has so much information about printers and print quality and paper selection that it will make your head spin.





Go to this page and start to drool:


http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideF鈥?/a>How do I select the best digital printer?
I'm curious how much better the new ';ultra high res'; Epson printers are. Too bad mine is ';only'; a year old...

Report Abuse



Check out the Consumer Reports web page.
My canon has out preformed all of my previous HP, Epson or Brother models on color, clairity and durability. Also. My Canon S9000 has seperate ink cartrages so i don't have to ditch all of my ink just because i ran out of one color.





Whatever you pick, make sure you have medium to large seperate ink wells. This is very important.
Archival characteristics seem to be the biggest issue with professional quality inkjet printing these days. Epson and Canon are leading at this point. Either of the companies higher end products will produce stunning print outs with the correctly matched paper. If your maximum print size is going to be 8x10, which would be pretty limiting for a professional, an Epson R800 or Canon Pixma Pro9000 (slightly larger prints) would be a couple of the better choices
Oh Negs and Slides





Go for an HP Photo Smart C7180





That is the best in the market





Chk Out


http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shoppi鈥?/a>
  • skin itching
  • bob hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment