Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I configure my printer so that my laptop can print from it?

I have a PC at home which is connected to a printer, as well as via a wireless router to the Internet.





I also have a company laptop which uses the wireless connection to access the internet.





What I want to do is be able to print documents on my work laptop on my home printer but not sure how to go about doing this, presumably I have to set up some kind of network.





Any advice would be appreciated.How do I configure my printer so that my laptop can print from it?
First you need to go to network wizard at control panel from the laptop link it to be the network with your computer. The wizard will do everything, just follow the instruction. From your laptop add the printer as a network printer and link.How do I configure my printer so that my laptop can print from it?
You have to use an option called Printer Sharing. On the PC you have to right-click on the printer icon and select the 'sharing' option. Tell it you want to share the printer.


On the laptop, go to add a new printer but when you get the option say it is a shared printer (as opposed to being connected directly to the laptop). It will scan the network and with any luck it will find the printer. It will then install the drivers and you're done!


NOTE this will only work if...


1. The PC and printer are left ON


2. Both computers have the same network settings (workgroup name)


3. Your firewall doesn't block it





It's not a good setup. Why not get a wireless print server instead? The printer connects to it, it connects to the router, and Bobs your Uncle!
You do the exact same thing you did to set up your printer on the other computers.
Yes then make your printer a shared device

No comments:

Post a Comment