Saturday, August 21, 2010

How can I make my printer work from my wireless network?

My printer is not wireless. I have a wireless setup in my home. Is there any way to make it so that all of my wireless computers can send the printer a signal to print a word or internet document/photo? Thanks!How can I make my printer work from my wireless network?
If you have a printer, you probably have it attached to computer on the network. You can share it with the rest of the network fairly easily.





XP machines should be able to simply Share the printer from the machine it鈥檚 attached to, this way:





1. Click the Start-%26gt;Control Panel menu item.


2. Click Printers and Other Hardware.


3. Click Printers and Faxes.


4. Click the printer in question.


5. Click the Printer-%26gt;Sharing menu item.


6. Click the Share radio button.


7. Give the printer a name.


8. Click OK.





If the machine with the printer has Windows XP and the other has Windows Vista (possibly W7 also), you have to do a bit more than that. Try this:





1. On the XP machine, set the printer to Sharing in the Printers and Faxes dialog box, as detailed above.


2. On the Vista (W7) machine, get to the Add A Printer dialog.


3. Click Add a local Printer. (Yes, I know it's not local. Trust me.)


4. Click the Create a new port radio button. Leave the type of port set to Local Port.


5. Click the Next button.


6. In the Port Name text box, enter the printer's name, complete with the other machine's name (e.g. \\Bob's Machine\Bob's Printer).


7. Click OK.





Hope that helps.How can I make my printer work from my wireless network?
Unless you have Windows 7, you can purchase a wireless print server, but they're rather expensive.





You can read about them here.





http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_4.htm
Pre Windows 7 you need a ';print server'; to accomplish that task. Windows 7 has it built in which is a nice feature. So if you're running Vista or XP you need to head to the local electronics store.
I would suggest going for any SOHO Print Server , It may cost $40 - $60.


However it eliminates the headache of having a dedicated Computer turn on just for printing
I try and keep gadget headaches to a minimum. I just connect a printer cable.

No comments:

Post a Comment