Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I connect to a home network printer from a laptop running Vista?

The printer is connected to a desk top computer via usb. The desk top is running XP and is connected to DSL via lan cable and then a wireless router is used. Two other laptops (running XP) in the house have no trouble using the printer. I have been unable to get the laptop running vista to recognize the printer attached to the desk top in any way,How do I connect to a home network printer from a laptop running Vista?
I had this exact problem. Spent hours downloading new drivers and trying to fix settings, but nothing worked. Looking at other help sites, it became obvious that this is happening to everyone! The only solution (that seems to work) is to download Network Magic. It's really sad that you need to get another piece of software to get two Microsoft operating systems to ';talk'; properly, but this worked flawlessly and immediately. No problems since I did this.How do I connect to a home network printer from a laptop running Vista?
you're welcome


Wish microsoft would do something about this, tho.

Report Abuse



Make sure that you have file and print sharing enabled on the desktop
I hate to admit this, but I had the exact same problem with a client of mine. I am certainly not a novice at this, and I was unable to get the Vista computer to work with the shared printer on the XP computer. I spent quite a bit of time on that problem.





I will be very interested to see if someone else here found a solution to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment